What is your take on Indian food! I love potatoes, cashews and yoghurt and this dish combines them all.
To be honest I have tried this recipe twice, but the meal is yummy. The first time I made it, it was enough to serve 2 then we had an unexpected guest 😦 So I reduced my share then the guy did not even finish his meal!!!!!! I do not like seeing good food go to waste so y’all can imagine how bad I felt. This recipe I tried is from a Nita Mehta cookbook I have for Indian cooking. Anywho here goes:
- 250 g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 tbsp cashewnuts soaked in a 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger and 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 onions, chopped
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp chopped dhania (coriander)
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt (beaten well)
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for frying
- Fry the potatoes to a deep golden brown and keep aside.
- Grind cashewnuts, ginger and garlic to a paste and keep aside
- Heat some of the oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add cumin and bay leaf. Wait 30 seconds till seeds stop spluttering.
- Add onions and cook on low flame till onions turn soft but do not let them turn brown.
- Add turmeric and garam masala. Stir to mix well.
- Add the cashew paste prepared earlier and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the yogurt and stir fry till water evaporates, and cook till it dries.
- Add milk and 1/2 cup of water and boil/simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Add the fried potatoes and chopped coriander to the gravy and simmer on low flame till it thickens and coats the potatoes. Serve hot with nan or paranthas.
I will make this soon and update with photos Ok?